Sunday, May 1, 2016

Another homemade book for Chase

Since Chase loves letters, I wanted to make him another book. I bought these letter buttons while we were in the US and wanted to put them together into the alphabet and some words for him. I actually spent quite a while formatting it so that the alphabet would make sense color wise and that I had enough letters of each color to spell out some short but diverse words. A cute detail is that the front, which has Chase's name, has every color incorporated. Even further, the back which says "The End," somehow also has a letter of each color (this was not only a coincidence but quite surprising since there weren't many letters left when I decided to add that last bit to the book). To make it, I sewed all of the letters on black fabric (which I actually bought at IKEA). This took a surprisingly long time and was not easy since I had to make sure the spacing was ok multiple times. I, then, used the sewing machine to turn the sewn letter patches into pages. I stuffed each page with a black foam piece which was rather simple since the spine was left open. Finally, I sewed each page together at the spine using multi-colored thread. The back page actually has two foam pieces in it to make it a bit sturdier than the rest of the pages (especially because it has letters on both sides).

Chase is a big fan and especially likes the O, W, and S. It's a nice size to have in my purse at all time so Chase and I can look at it on the bus on our way to and from the daycare. The letters are a bit weird in that they are a mix of capital and lower-case letters, but I think that makes it even better because he can identify variations in the letters.







1 comment: