Since we were having a heat wave and Chase had no shorts, I finally broke out my sewing machine to sew him some shorts. Unfortunately, even though my machine was supposed to be rated for 220-240 V, the pedal was not. Therefore, I had to buy a new IKEA sewing machine here in Switzerland. But, after that little disaster aside, I got to make Chase some shorts. It was a bit hard to figure out the measurements because most of his other pants were stretchy so using them as a template was not ideal. In the end, with a bit of trial and error, I made him a few pairs.
Below, he is wearing one of them (you can see him wearing another while kicking a soccer ball around in this video posted to instagram). He also had the chicken pox so you can see a few spots! Thank goodness he got a very mild case of the chickenpox with no itching!
Here in Switzerland, as in most of Europe, air conditioning is very rare. Therefore, when a heat wave hits (and this summer has been a constant heat wave), it's pretty uncomfortable. Our apartment has a balcony on either side of our building so we have a nice breeze that flows through. However, in lab and in the daycare, with no air conditioning, it can get quite miserable. We're in another heat wave for the next few days so hopefully it ends soon and the heat stays away for the rest of the summer!

Those shorts are adorable!
ReplyDeleteI can't believe there's no AC in lab!! Isn't that dangerous? Do they at least have AC for mice and animals? Yikes.
Yes, the mice probably have AC. Our cell culture room has AC, but it's not super cold. In general, it's cooler in the building than outside, but nowhere near how it is in the US. If it's really hot outside, I tend to sweat in the main lab!
DeleteOh man, I just can't even. I hate how over-air conditioned things are in the US, but asking for it to be 78 indoors, that doesn't seem too much!
Delete