Sunday, December 15, 2013

Candy Crush Halloween Costume

This year for Halloween, I decided to make a Candy Crush costume. Candy Crush is a highly addicting game for iPhone (and technically Facebook) which I have been playing for quite a while and have made it to the "end" a few times (before each level update -- I think I'm on level 485 at the moment). I got the idea for this costume from this youtube video, but I changed it up a bit.

I first made patterns for all six pieces and stapled them to the appropriate colored felt. I decided on felt because it is so cheap and on stapling because I didn't have enough pins! For the blue pieces, since they have a band down the middle, I put in the band with an extra small piece of felt. After sewing all the pieces (which surprisingly went incredibly quickly), I removed all of the staples and patterns (this part took quite a while)! Here are all of the pieces stapled and cut out, a close-up of the blue pieces, and all of the pieces of paper removed after sewing:


After removing all of the staples and patterns, I turned the pieces inside out (also very time consuming!). I made 6 of each color with one of those being stripe-y, and three of the brown ones with multi-colored dots. Here they are all laid out along with detailed shots of a few of them: 


Next, I stuffed and closed up all the pieces. I also thought this would be time consuming, but it was relatively quick. Here are all of the cute pieces: 


I went ahead and put stick-on velcro on the back of all the pieces. I also made a very simple skirt (out of some black material I had) with a elastic waistband.


On the skirt, I put the other side of the stick-on velcro. I decided to do 4 rows of 5 pieces on the front and the same thing on the back. Then I started putting the pieces on: 


All done (I thought)! I took a few pictures of me wearing the skirt and found out that the velcro -- especially the side stuck onto the skirt -- was not too secure (you can see how one piece is missing off of the back view!). On the pieces, I used a glue gun to attach the velcro more securely. On the skirt, I sewed over the velcro. The sewing over velcro turned out to be a terrible, terrible idea. The sticky part on the velcro not only gunked up my needle, but also the inside of my sewing machine. I had to clean everything out and it was so icky! I do not recommend sewing over stick-on velcro. Ever. I have definitely learned my lesson. Either way, after I secured the velcro on both sides, the pieces stayed on a lot better. 


I went to a Halloween party wearing my costume (right hand picture, with the cobweb) and people not only got a kick out of the Candy Crush aspect but were also delighted when I told them they could move the pieces around. I had so much fun making this and wearing it! The pieces are really cute!

1 comment: